Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Frozen Dumplings and Taiwanese Style Baby Bok Choy

I have to admit. I bought my dumplings frozen at a restaurant in Chinatown NYC, Super Taste. Click on the name for a Yelp review. It rocks. The only thing I don't like about it is this woman who screams in your ear in Cantonese even if there are only 2 people in the place. That's why I get them to go. Haha! They are the best frozen dumplings thus far, and for a person who doesn't have much time, it's perfect.
BUT...I think that it is well worth your time if you do want to make homemade dumplings. I've been to dumpling parties, and I have helped my mom make them. It is so much fun when you do it with a significant other, a friend, or many friends. So... I don't want to discount that and found a really good recipe on About.com. Click on the name. In one of the reviews, looks like she makes a mean dipping sauce.
My sauce was a little different (see below).

Frozen dumplings from Super Taste in NYC Chinatown. Pan fried at home. Use the About.com recipe's cooking method
Ingredients for dipping sauce: 
Makes 1 serving
1/8C soy sauce
1t      sesame oil
2t      hot oil
3t      rice vinegar
1T     chopped scallions 


The veggies, however, are my own concoction, learned from my grandmother in Taipei, Taiwan. You simply boil them. She would add a little bit of pork fat to add flavor and to make it less dry. I use sesame oil. She doesn't use hot oil and she buys veggies from the street vendor in Taipei. I get them at a grocery store like Whole Foods or Fresh Fanatic.

Ingredients for vegetables: 
Makes about 4 servings (also depends on how much you like veggies)
6-7 small bunches or 3-4 big bunches of organic baby bok choy
1-2T sesame oil 
2T soy sauce 
2-3t hot oil
1t black pepper

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add washed bok choy to pot and boil for 5 minutes max, or until it begins to soften. Remove from water and shake out excess water. In a bowl, mix bok choy, sesame oil, soy sauce, black pepper and hot oil together. That's it. Seriously. It's that easy. My measurements may not be precise, like most people, we just throw it in. It's up to you if you want to add more sauce.

Small bunches of Baby Bok Choy from Fresh Fanatic










No comments:

Post a Comment