- 1 block soft or medium-firm tofu (about 1 pound), drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (in place of Canola or peanut oil)
- 1 pound ground turkey (in place of pork or beef)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tabasco sauce (in place of chili paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( in place of ground Sichuan pepper)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
Optional garnish: 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
1. Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Add the turkey and stir-fry until starting to brown but not yet dry, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, then add garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add the black bean paste and mix with meat. Add the tabasco sauce and black pepper and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
3. Pour in the stock and stir well. Mix in the drained tofu gently but don’t stir too much or the tofu may break up. Add the rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the tofu has absorb the flavors of the sauce.
4. Add the cornstarch mixture, mixing well, until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Garnish with optional scallions, and serve hot and with rice.
Enjoy! - Minna
Enjoy! - Minna