Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Halibut with Tomatoes and Fennel

Total cook and prep time: 25 minutes! I love fast recipes!

I got this recipe from Martha's Food Every Day. I recommend this little zine which also comes with a larger version called Whole Living. 2 years for $20 for 2 magazines!

haha... ok now that I've got my advertising out of the way I think I have to say that if I make this again i might improve on it some.
I felt that it was lacking in some flavor... maybe I didn't use enough salt. But that was just me. My husband loved it.

  • cups of couscous - it doesn't say what kind but if you can add some flavor to your couscous, or get a flavored couscous this would be much better!
  • 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
  • 1 large fennel bulb thinly sliced lengthwise (I'm not sure what this meant but i basically julienned the bulb i also did some thin circle slices which i think i liked as well) + some fronds for garnish
  • coarse salt and pepper
  • 1 garlic clove minced - I would add more garlic
  • 4 large tomatoes diced large
  • 1.5 lbs of halibut - I used Tilapia b/c it has less mercury content but maybe the halibut has a better taste.
Cook couscous as you normally would or according to package.
In large skillet heat oil over medium, add fennel and cook until translucent ... stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, add garlic cook until fragrant.
Add tomatoes until they begin to soften and release their juices - 3-4 minutes.
Nestle halibut in mixture and season with salt and pepper. Cook until fillets are opaque - about 8 minutes.

Fluff couscous with fork and serve with halibut and tomato mix... sprinkle with fennel fronds if desired.

Recipe says that you can substitute striped bass or salmon for the halibut and onions for the fennel. I think i might opt to add both onions and fennel ;) Love onions! Or maybe even use a can of diced tomatoes for more of that tomato flavor.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...this looks good and healthy! Maybe for more flavor, you can make the drizzling oil have more punch. Like press a clove of garlic into the oil, squeeze some lemon, italian parsley, salt/pepper and let it sit while you cook. Then drizzle on before serving.

    ReplyDelete